Here is a little list that will hopefully inspire you:
- Switch to a bank that support social and ecological projects! Banks are often accomplices of bad business like coal power plants or weapon business without you knowing it.
- Switch search engine (e.g. Ecosia that use a part of the money from advertisement to plant trees)
- Delete old e-mails that consume uselessly place and energy from internet servers
- Sign online petitions (e.g. from Greenpeace).
- Change e-mail adress for an adress that is more environmentally friendly than Google.
I have now a new e-mail - Lilo- that respects privacy, reduce my carbon impact and finances social and environmental projetcs
- Switch the light off when you are not in the room.
- Only use the heating when you need it. For example we heat the kitchen and living room during the day, the bath only when we use it and we do not heat the bedroom.
- Switch to an electricity provider that gets its energy from dams or wind energy (not coal or nuclear plants).
- Switch your Internet Box when you sleep to reduce useless energy consumption and wave emission.
- Use the bike as much as possible for short distances.
- For longer distances, use the train when it is possible.
- When you have not other choices than the plane, you can calculate your carbon emission and compensate it by supporting projects, for example on the website carbonfootprint.com.
FOOD & COSMETICS:
- Buy bio/local/seasonal/fairtrade when you can (the combination of all is of course ideal). We have started to get an "eco-box" on a weekly basis with a selection of local and bio vegetables + fruits.
- Reduce meat consumption and switch to a vegetarian/vegan diet to reduce carbon emissions.
- Bring a cloth bag to the shop when you buy bread/fruits/vegetables
- Go to a bulky shop with your bottles/bags to shop "zero waste" to buy all sorts of things (pasta, rice , flour, sugar, oil, tea).
- Buy a solid soap and shampoo to reduce the use of packaging
- Repair things! You can bring your broken electronic devices to Repair cafés where you will be provided tools and guidance to repair your devices for the price of a donation of your choice.
- Give the clothes and books you do not use anymore to a charity.
- Give the old electronic devices you do not use anymore to recycle the precious materials
- Buy bio/local/fairtrade clothes when you can (the combination of all is of course ideal)